Tuesday, April 12, 2011

MORE THOUGHT ABOUT THOUGHT

A few of my dear readers responded with me-too comments on my last blog.  We are not alone. The thinking addiction seems to affect everybody I know. Our thoughts become compulsive. Our minds not only run away with us, we seem to over-value the product of our own minds.  We take them far too seriously.  That leads us way from our true self to a false mind-made self.  We are far more than that. We are created in the image of God, but we cannot think our way into beauty or worry our way  into truth or invent joy. Jesus said "Don't worry your head about tomorrow, we'll deal with that then." Just as unhelpful is to regret or replay the past.  We can't deal with either of these directions.  No matter how much we put our minds to it, we can't change the past or control the future.  We can only handle the here and now.  One thing I am learning about these compulsive thoughts is to practice focusing intensely on what is happening in my mind and heart right now.  Usually this brings an awareness that I have no crisis, no unsolvable problem--just a cool, refreshing sense of well-being.

No comments:

Post a Comment