Wednesday, December 1, 2010

I AM I SAID

Recently, on the way into Bible Study, a friend greeted me and asked casually and sincerely, “How are you?” I answered, “I am . . .” I then paused and felt confused as I searched for a word to finish my sentence. I could too easily have answered with the usual “fine”, or  “never been better,” or “can’t complain” (before proceding to do so).  With this particular friend I could have answered, “better than you” but that would only elicit a challenge from him.  Actuallly, after the “I am", I instinctively said “that’s enough. Just I am period.” I could do no better than that. In Exodus God told Moses, “I AM!”  St. Paul said, “By the grace of God I am. . .”  Jesus said, I am the way, the truth and the life.”  Even Popeye said repeatedly, I yam what I yam and that’s all that I yam.” My friend and I both understand that our “amness”, (essence, being, life,soul) is a gift from God.We are are gifts of grace as Paul says. 'Nuf said for now.  


No comments:

Post a Comment